InsureMyTrip recently surveyed a group of U.S. travelers who had purchased travel insurance within the past 24 months and the results of the survey were announced earlier today.
Twenty-five percent of those polled said they have filed a travel insurance claim for a cruise related issue with health being the #1 reason for an insurance claim. Here are the interesting results of the survey:
InsureMyTrip Cruise Report Reveals Travel Trends
- 82% have either been or want to go on a river cruise
- 62% said a cruise always met their expectations
- 49% worry most about a family member or themselves getting sick or injured
- 46% said they experienced at least one unexpected itinerary change during a cruise
- 36% were unsure whether their domestic heath insurance plan would cover any doctor or hospital visits while traveling out of the country
- 26% worry about bad weather affecting a cruise
- 26% experienced seasickness or a stomach illness at some point during one of their cruises
Travelers, who voluntarily participated in this survey, had all researched or purchased travel insurance within the past 24 months. Out of those polled, 25 percent had filed a travel insurance claim for a cruise-related issue.
Here are common reasons for filing a claim:
- Medical care required during a cruise
- Medical issue forced a trip cancellation
- Bad weather forced a delay or cancellation of cruise
- Missed flight led to a delay or cancellation of cruise
- Items stolen or lost during a trip
The Caribbean and Europe are hot spots
The Caribbean and Europe are tied as favorite cruise destination while 11 percent chose Alaska as a top place to visit.
- 35% Caribbean
- 35% Europe
- 11% Alaska
- 19% Other
Carnival tops cruise lines
Based on travel insurance purchases so far in 2017, Carnival Cruise Line is the most popular cruise line.
- Carnival Cruise Line
- Royal Caribbean International
- Norwegian Cruise Line
- Celebrity Cruises
- Holland America Line
- Princess Cruises
- Disney Cruise Line
- MSC Cruises
Whether you are planning a cruise, a cross-country vacation or a trip overseas, a travel insurance plan should be on your radar. With the right plan, you will find the coverage you need if something should go awry while traveling. It may not be right for every trip, but InsureMyTrip can help you decide.