Every three to five years, cruise lines send their cruise ships into dry dock for not only routine maintenance, but also for upgrades and renovations to the ships. The ships receive hotel maintenance (new beds etc) and cosmetic upgrades in public areas that include lighting, new carpet, tile work, and wall coverings.
Lately, cruise lines have used this dry dock period to add upgrades to the ship that include new specialty restaurants and lounges, new staterooms and suites, water slides/waterparks, and giant outdoor TV screens to ships that do not have them. Cruise lines have pledged well over $2 billion in upgrades to their cruise ships over the next few years.
Below are the dry dock schedules that have been announced for the mainstream cruise lines in 2018-2023.
Carnival Cruise Line
- Carnival Sunshine – October 7-20, 2018
- Carnival Inspiration – November 2-15, 2018
- Carnival Fantasy – January 7-20, 2019
- Carnival Pride – February 3-16, 2019
- Carnival Freedom – February 13 through March 3, 2019
- Carnival Triumph’s transformation into Carnival Sunrise – March 1 through April 28, 2019
- Carnival Ecstasy – October 5-16, 2019
- Carnival Splendor – November 2019
- Celebrity Millennium – February 2019
- Celebrity Summit – March 2019
- Celebrity Equinox – May 2019
- Celebrity Silhouette – January 2020
- Celebrity Eclipse – April 2020
- Celebrity Constellation – May 2020
- Celebrity Infinity – TBD 2021
- Celebrity Solstice – October 2021
- Celebrity Reflection – January 2023
These dry docks are a part of THE CELEBRITY REVOLUTION which is a $500 million plan to upgrade every ship in Celebrity’s fleet.
Disney Cruise Line
- No dry docks currently scheduled for their four cruise ships
Holland America Line
- No dry docks currently scheduled
Norwegian Cruise Line
- Norwegian Jewel – October 22 through November 5 2018
- Eight of Norwegian’s cruise ships have gone into dry dock over the past 18 months.
- Sun Princess – July 12-26, 2018
- Navigator of the Seas – January 5-31, 2019
This list is expected to grow as Royal Caribbean announced a plan to spend $900 million in cruise ship upgrades over the next few years. This modernization called Royal Amplified will bring new innovations on every deck of the ships. The exact dates on each ship’s dry dock should be released in the near future.
Additional cruise ships will be added to this dry dock list when they are announced.
Learn the cruise secrets most people don't know and cruise like a boss. Check out Intelligent Cruiser here for a better cruise vacation. (Sponsored)