Fathom, Carnival Corporation’s 10th cruise brand, was launched in April 2016 and became the first social impact cruise line. Sailing on the 700 passenger Adonia, Fathom took guests on week long cruises to the Dominican Republic and Cuba and gave passengers the opportunity to give back.
While in the Dominican Republic, travelers had the opportunity to participate in different impact activities such as creating clean water filters, planting trees, teaching English in the communities and in schools, and help pour concrete floors in community homes. Over the course of the past 14 months, Fathom travelers were able to do the following:
- Planted 31,286 seeds in nurseries and 17,950 trees
- 95 homes received concrete floors and one school got a new multi-use outside court
- 1,546 water filters were produced giving an estimated 7,491 individuals access to clean water
- 5,280 pounds of nibs cleaned and 130,300 products wrapped in the Cacao and Women’s Chocolate Cooperative
- 21,098 sheets of paper produced at RePapel as part of a recycled paper and crafts entrepreneurship that benefited local women
- Countless hours of English were taught in communities and in local elementary schools
Even though Adonia will no longer be sailing to the Caribbean under the Fathom brand (the ship is being transferred back to sister line P&O Cruises), the work will continue as the travel deep experience spreads to Carnival’s nine other cruise lines.
When docked in Amber Cove, Dominican Republic, guests on Carnival Corporation cruise ships will be able to participate in excursions similar to those offered under Fathom.
“Making a dent in the universe should be more fun that anything else out there” – Tara Russell, president of Fathom
This is not the end, Fathom is looking to continue what they started and have the following listed on their website on what’s coming in the future:
“Fathom begins to further realize the dream corporately, fulfilling early intent to introduce and test a new, deep travel experience to a new audience, and also to share these experiences – onboard and onshore – with any of 9 sister brands corporately and onboard any one of our 100+ ships. Fathom expands to a broader platform, working with Carnival Corporation sister brands to offer programming on board many ships. Fathom explores new possibilities and new channels for delivering Fathom experiences to all who are hungry.”
If you are heading to Amber Cove on a cruise, check out the social impact excursions that will be offered on the 100+ Carnival Corp. cruise ships. It will be one of the most enriching activities that you can participate in while on your cruise and something your family will never forget.