Carnival Cruise Line released a statement saying more changes are possible as the cruise lines looks to reduce single use plastics and eliminate certain other items that are difficult to recycle or separate from food waste.
The six new Carnival changes are:
1. Eliminating most individual servings of packaged items like foil-wrapped butter pats, condiments, salad dressing, cereal boxes, and sugar (but excluding artificial sweeteners).
2. Eliminating various decorative items used in food/beverage service, such as steak temperature markers, toothpicks, umbrellas, stir sticks and olive picks.
3. Eliminating the distribution of all drinking straws, with the exception of frozen drinks, which will be served with an edible straw, wooden coffee stirrers will be replaced with stainless stirrers which can be sanitized and reused.
4. All beverages will be served in glass or reusable plastic tumblers; all to-go hot beverages will be served in paper cups with paper lids.
5. Shampoo and body wash will be distributed in pumps in all staterooms, suites and spa facilities.
6. Plastic water bottles are currently recycled, but they are exploring various alternatives that could replace plastic water bottles in the future.
Best Prices on Carnival Cruises: View Deals
The letter went on to say that Carnival Cruise Line is committed to doing their part to implement the best practices and new technologies to help reduce their carbon footprint.
These changes will be rolled out of the next few months on Carnival’s 26 cruise ships.
The entire letter can be read below: