Royal Caribbean has announced that they are re-categorizing the staterooms on most of their cruise ships that will make them more concise, easier to interpret, and, most importantly, consistent across the fleet.
The new categorization structure will include new category codes, intuitive category names, and stateroom category shifts based on attributes, size, location, and occupancy. These updates will go into affect on all cruise ships with an exception for Quantum of the Seas.
One noticeable change will be the removal of the word “family” from the higher occupancy rooms. The cruise line said that the reason for this was the following: “High occupancy staterooms are not only appealing to family travelers, but also other groups of individuals that may be misled by the “family” label. As not to polarize or mislead, the term “family” has been removed from such categories and has been replaced with descriptors such as “spacious” and “ultra spacious”.
There will be no physical changes made to staterooms, just how they are categorized and named.
Changes will go into effect beginning with the new 2018/2019 deployment. The effective dates vary by ship and are confirmed as follows:
- Adventure of the Seas – May 5, 2018
- Allure of the Seas – May 6, 2018
- Anthem of the Seas – April 28, 2018
- Brilliance of the Seas – April 5, 2018
- Empress of the Seas – TBD
- Enchantment of the Seas – May 4, 2018
- Explorer of the Seas – May 14, 2018
- Freedom of the Seas – May 6, 2018
- Grandeur of the Seas – May 5, 2018
- Harmony of the Seas – May 5, 2018
- Independence of the Seas – May 6, 2018
- Jewel of the Seas – May 6, 2018
- Liberty of the Seas – May 6, 2018
- Majesty of the Seas – May 4, 2018
- Mariner of the Seas – March 28, 2018
- Navigator of the Seas – April 22, 2018
- Oasis of the Seas – May 6, 2018
- Ovation of the Seas – April 26, 2018
- Radiance of the Seas – May 13, 2018
- Rhapsody of the Seas – May 6, 2018
- Serenade of the Seas – April 20, 2018
- Vision of the Seas – April 16, 2018
- Voyage of the Seas – April 30, 2018
Adjustments will be introduced on RoyalCaribbean.com as the roll-out of new deployment occurs.