Royal Caribbean will be returning to Alaska for the 28th straight year in 2017 with the return of the cruise line’s favorite cruise ships to the Great American Frontier. All Alaskan itineraries opened for booking on February 26, 2016. Explorer of the Seas and Radiance of the Seas will each sail seven-night itineraries that bring the awe-inspiring Alaskan seascape to life and the state’s rugged mysterious interior within reach to become real world adventures. Explorer of the Seas sails roundtrip from Seattle, and Radiance of the Seas sails from Vancouver, BC to Seward, AK and then from Seward, AK to Vancouver, BC. All itineraries open for sale on Feb. 26. Globetrotters eager to plan their 2017 summer travels will reap the benefits of complimentary upgrades as an incentive for early booking, in addition to the promotional offerings already underway.
New in 2017, two 12-night cruisetours exclusive to Royal Caribbean guests will take travelers to roads less traveled both with overnight stays in scenic Alaskan escapes before or after their cruise. The Kantishna Select Wilderness & Wildlife cruisetour unleashes the traveler’s adventurous spirit to explore Denali’s unspoiled wilderness with local experts. Guests hike the Exit Glacier, go on a kayak and bike adventure at Eklutna Lake and travel by rail from the Denali National Park and Preserve to Fairbanks. The cruisetour includes two nights of exclusive accommodations at a Kantishna backcountry lodge, amongst the finest wilderness lodges in the state, immediately after the cruise vacation.
Nestled in an idyllic setting on the bend of a river, the lodge touts an inherent sense of history from deep within the National Park. The Katmai Bear Trek & Kantishna Fly Over cruisetour will bring to life the most sought after Alaska experience, the chance to witness the notorious American Brown Bear hunting in its natural habitat with an extraordinary close and unobstructed view in the Katmai Park and Preserve. Adventure-seekers taking part in the cruisetour will have two nights in Denali or Anchorage, before or after the cruise respectively, to explore these frontier destinations.
Known for unexpected experiences found only on Royal Caribbean, the cruise line continues to transform the cruise experience by offering innovative ships combined with active immersive adventures in incredible destinations around the world. And there is no place like Alaska where the possibilities of discovery are uncovered traveling through forests, amidst gardens, over glaciers, up mountain passes and across lakes.
Vacationers have a vast array of destinations and excursions to add to their “must see and do” lists, including:
- Icy Straight Point: The world’s longest zipline with a 1,320 ft. vertical drop, the ZipRider transports brave riders from mountain peak to harbor-side beach at 60 mph.
- Ketchikan: The largest wilderness in Alaska is the 2.3 million acre Misty Fjords which captures the breathtaking landscape from glacial blue lakes to waterfalls, rising to snowcapped peaks. The floatplane aerial view reveals the nuances of nature’s color palette and textures, awarding the bragging rights travelers relish.
- Juneau: Bald eagles, bears, caribou, and sea lions, are part of the Alaska Big 5 wildlife list, but whale watching in Stephen’s Passage is one of the most awe-inspiring wildlife experiences ever. Guests can enjoy this all-new shore excursion that brings them up-close-and-personal with humpback whales, sea lions, harbor seals, and more.
- Skagway: This town is so associated with the exhilaration of the Gold Rush that the town has become synonymous with rugged adventure. Travelers can take in the Tongass National Rainforest from the comfort of 4×4 vehicles or visit Musher’s Camp for a hands-on lesson in dog sledding.
- Victoria, BC: The 100 year old Buchart Gardens is one of Canada’s National Historic Sites having grown from a single rose bush to a verdant 55-acre oasis. Guests can enjoy self-guided tours of this enchanting botanical display.
Royal Caribbean International is an award-winning global cruise brand with a 46-year legacy of innovation and introducing industry “firsts” never before seen at sea. The cruise line features an expansive and unmatched array of features and amenities only found on Royal Caribbean including, jaw-dropping, Broadway-style entertainment and industry-acclaimed programming that appeals to families and adventurous vacationers alike. Onboard, guests are catered to with the cruise line’s world-renowned friendly and engaging Gold Anchor Service by every staff and crew member. Royal Caribbean has been voted “Best Cruise Line Overall” for 13 consecutive years in the Travel Weekly Readers Choice Awards.