One of the best parts about cruising is the food you get to eat. The food is normally top notch and there is plenty of it. A UK travel agency recently polled 1,000 people who have cruised before and asked them about their eating habits and weight while cruising.
The average person polled gained one pound per day of cruising. This is not hard to believe since you can literally eat any time you want, and eat as much as you want, wherever you want. But 84% of respondents stated that they ate more on the cruise ship than they normally would at home, with 30% saying they doubled their normal calorie intake while cruising the high seas.
9% said they gained about 4 pounds during the course of a cruise (up to 2 weeks), and 15% said they gained more than 17 pounds. But the problem only gets worse when these cruisers get home, with 41% saying they have trouble losing the weight after the vacation.
“I am as guilty as these respondents when it comes to indulging when on a cruise holiday, as the delicious food and drink on offer can be difficult to say no to,” Bonvoyage.co.uk cruise development manager Steph Curtin said.
“This is particularly the case when on an all-inclusive cruise, where you know that all of the tempting food on offer has already been paid for.”
Here are a few tips for making sure you keep your weight and health in check, while still enjoying the delectable meals aboard a cruise ship:
- Use the gym at least once per day. The gyms on a cruise ship are usually pretty nice and they offer plenty of exercise equipment. You don’t have to hit the weights hard core to keep the weight down though. Just take a short job on the treadmill or get your blood pumping on the elliptical. Using the gym in the morning can help get your metabolism started off on the right track. Just 15 minutes can make a big difference when you jump on the scale at the end of the cruise.
- Eat but don’t overeat. With all the food you can get on a cruise ship it’s hard to have temperance. You don’t have to starve yourself, but don’t push yourself to the limit just because you can’t get this kind of cooking at home. Just try eating a little of everything instead of eating everything of everything and never eat until you are very full.
- Do some FUN exercise. You don’t have to hit the gym to get exercise. Walk around the deck, take a swim in the pool, play some basketball or volleyball to keep your body active.
- Don’t be afraid of the salad bar. There are always plenty of healthy choices on a cruise ship, and you don’t have to be a vegetarian to appreciate them. For at least one meal a day determine to eat a healthy meal.
- Take the stairs. Instead of waiting for the line at the elevator and standing in a crammed space with other cruisers why not take the stairs? This can often be quicker than taking the elevator (depending on your agility) and is a great way to make sure you are staying healthy while on vacation. Pace yourself though. If you are on a bigger ship that is 14+ decks, it might be best to only take the stairs if you are going up or down a couple decks at a time.
- Explore the ship. Just walking around the ship is going to give you a workout. And if you choose a room that is at the very front or back of the ship you will be forced to do a fair share of walking. Yes, it’s more convenient to have a room right next to the elevators but if you want to keep that weight off let your legs do the walking.
- Go vegetarian. Most cruise lines offer meatless options for every meal in the main dining room as well as at the buffet.
- Don’t get stressed. This is your vacation and stress just wreaks havoc on your health. Just remember to say “No problem, mon” and roll with whatever happens on your cruise.
Do you have any more tips for us? We would love to hear from you. Just leave a comment in the box below to tell us your tip or story on controlling weight while cruising.
Want to cruise like a pro? Check out some insider secrets to saving money on cruises and avoid the 20 mistakes that most cruisers make with the Intelligent Cruiser here (Sponsored).
Search Multiple Sites at Once
Instant Real Time Pricing