MSC Cruises announced earlier today that their next cruise ship, MSC Meraviglia, will homeport in PortMiami for the 2019-20 winter season.
The cruise line had recently announced plans to sail three cruise ships from the Cruise Capital of the World in 2019, MSC Seaside, MSC Divina, and a Meraviglia class ship. We now know that MSC Meraviglia will be the 3rd ship as MSC Cruises looks to gain a foothold in the most popular cruise destination in the world, the Caribbean. Of these three ships, two will be in North America year-round and one seasonally.
MSC Meraviglia is the first in the Meraviglia Class next generation smart ships, and has been brought to life as part of an investment plan to bring 11 new ships into service by 2026. The vessel will be the largest cruise ship in MSC’s fleet when she makes her debut in June 2017.
Roberto Fusaro, president of MSC Cruises USA, gave the following statement: “Thanks to our 11 new mega ships investment program and the new capacity that we are adding to our fleet in connection with it, we are now in a position to significantly expand our global presence in North America. We have worked to be able to offer guests a range of different experiences out of North America; therefore, as of Winter 2019-20 our three newest, most innovative classes of ships will be deployed here: MSC Meraviglia, MSC Seaside and MSC Divina.”
The 167,600 gross ton ship will be the largest in MSC’s fleet when she debuts in June and will have the following features:
- At full capacity, the ship can accommodate 5,714 guests
- The ship offers 12 distinct dining venues, serving a range of international dining options including five speciality restaurants
- There will be will be exclusive world-class entertainment with 12 Cirque du Soleil at Sea performances each week
- 75% of all staterooms have a balcony and family modular connected staterooms can be joined together to accommodate up to 10 guests
- The ship will be the 5th ship in MSC Cruises’ fleet to feature a Swarovski staircase
- The ship will feature a Mediterranean-style promenade featuring multiple bars, restaurants and shops, as well as the longest LED Sky Screen at sea which will broadcast atmospheric images and entertainment 24-hours a day
- Guests have access to 355,209 sq. ft. of public space across 15 public decks
- The longest LED Sky Screen at sea will broadcast atmospheric images and entertainment 24 hours a day
- There are 7 different kids clubs including a technology lab and a TV studio for the first time on a MSC Cruises ship
- The ship will offer more than 20 hours of daily entertainment
- More than 24 musicians will perform 40 hours of live music each day
- The ship will have a Star Wars pod and a flight simulator
- The ‘Himalayan Bridge’ which spans the ship will allow guests to climb 269 ft. above sea level
- There are 20 bars and lounges on the ship
- Guests will be able to use a NFC bracelet to unlock stateroom doors, make payments on board and book restaurants and shows
- Guests will be able to geolocate their children using the MSC Cruises App thanks to Bluetooth Beacons and wearable technology
- Guests will also be able to embark and disembark from the ship using their bracelet together with their Cruise Card
- Guests will be able to experience shore excursions in advance using Virtual Reality (“VR”) technology
MSC Meraviglia will be in Miami for the 2019-20 winter season and then in North America year-round.