Carnival Cruise Line has sent a proposal to the Bahamian government to build a private port in eastern Grand Bahama, one of the largest islands in the Bahamas. It is also the closest major Bahamian island to the United States.
Although Carnival Cruise Line is the largest cruise line in the world, they currently do not have their own private port/island. Other cruise lines that have their own private islands are:
- Norwegian Cruise Line – Great Stirrup Cay
- Royal Caribbean – Coco Cay and Labadee, Haiti
- Princess Cruises – Princess Cays
- Holland America Line – Half Moon Cay (a few Carnival ships already stop here since it is owned by parent company Carnival Corp.)
- Disney Cruise Line – Castaway Cay
Locals in Grand Bahama are afraid that Carnival will replace ports stops in Freeport with the new private port if the proposal passes. Freeport remains one of the least popular cruise ports among cruise passengers largely due to the fact that the port is located in an industrial area with very little offered at the port itself.
When will this private port experience open if the Bahamian government accepts Carnival’s proposal? No timetable has been given at this time. However if approved, it will likely be welcome news to cruisers who either stay on the ship in Freeport, or who bypass cruise itineraries that stop there.