I recently read about a couple that planned the perfect vacation, a much needed 7 day/7 night cruise to the Caribbean. They had early morning flights on the day of the cruise and were scheduled to arrive in Miami late that morning for their cruise. When they arrived at the airport (Chicago), they found that their flight had been delayed due to weather. They finally landed in Miami a few minutes after the ship had pulled out of port.
They asked their travel agent if they could be reimbursed for their cruise since they missed it. The answer was no. Since they did not purchase travel insurance, the dream vacation that they paid for turned into a extremely disappointing week.
They did have the option of flying into the first port and getting on the ship there. However, they would have to pay for this out of their own pocket and last minute flights to the Caribbean do not come cheaply. They also needed a passport if they were going to choose this option.
How can all of this be avoided? I always recommend flying into the port city the day before the cruise. Flying in the day before gives you some flexibility if your fight gets delayed or canceled. It also gives you a day to relax and start your vacation without any stress.
A 2nd option is to book your flights through your cruise line. If you book your flights through your cruise line and your flight does get delayed or canceled causing you to miss they ship, they will get you to a port so you can get on the ship. They will first try and get you alternate flights so you can make it in time. There is one drawback to this, you will pay a premium for your flights.
Benefits of Travel Insurance
- Cash back and cancel for any reasons benefit.
- Reinbursement for missed days on cruises, tours, hotel and meals due to weather or mechanical problems with an aircraft.
- Baggage delay benefits if your bags are lost for a few days.
- 24 hr business and Conceirge services.
- 24/7 emergency assistance, up to $100,000 in medical expenses benefit.
- Emergency evacuation, medical up to $1,000,000, non-medical up to $25.000
- Coverage for nervous, mental, or physiological disorders.
Every plan is different so find the plan that is right for you! TravelSafe Insurance