Having a balcony on a cruise will give you a quiet place to relax and enjoy beautiful views of the ocean. The most popular balcony cabins to get on a cruise are aft balconies. While these are usually the most expensive, besides suites, they are usually the largest and also offer you the best change at getting a call from the upgrade fairy.
While you have your own private place to enjoy on the ship, there are some important things to remember when having a balcony stateroom.
The most important thing to be reminded of is that you have neighbors. I have read some absolute horror stories of what people have done on their balconies. Ask yourself, would you want your neighbor doing this?
- Don’t feed the seagulls. Imagine spending a relaxing afternoon on your balcony only to have the room above you feeding the birds. We all know what happens when you are directly under a bird too long, it’s not fun.
- If you are a smoker, don’t smoke your neighbors off their balcony. Some cruise lines have already made a no smoking policy on balconies because of this.
- Please do NOT ever peek over the divider to see what your neighbors are up to. You would be surprised how many cruisers do this.
- Private things that belong in the bedroom should stay in the bedroom.
- If it is late, try to keep your voice down and don’t yell. Many cruisers love to keep their doors open and listen to the waves as they fall asleep.
A good rule of thumb would be to act like you would like everyone around you to act. Having a balcony on a cruise can really be that place to get away from it all and just relax. Don’t ruin it for the rooms around you.