Prepaying for your tips is an easy way to make sure you have covered all of your bases and you aren’t being a “Scrooge” to anyone. Each cruise line is different in how much you need to pay in gratuities. So many people wonder if anyone is being left out if they prepay their tips. Also, does anyone else typically receive tips that is not included in the prepayment of gratuities?
The truth of the matter is, prepaying for your tips really just covers your room steward, your wait staff during meals, and a few that work behind the scenes. There are a few other things you can tip for on the ship if you want to as well.
- Tips for drinks are automatically added to the price of each drink (usually about 15%), additional tips are optional.
- If you have a butler or concierge you will need to tip extra.
- It is customary to tip for room service.
- The porters that handle your luggage in port will appreciate a tip.
- If you have kids in the cruises children’s program you can tip the staff if you want.
- You should usually tip any bus driver’s or excursion guides as well.
- Gratuities for spa treatments will automatically be added to your bill, additional tips are optional.
Of course, any of the above is up to your discretion based on service rendered. Since these are gratuities we are talking about, they are not mandatory. But if you want to know what is customary on a cruise ship this article should help.
Since you have prepaid your tips you have technically fulfilled your obligation so you don’t have to feel bad if you don’t tip any extra.
Can I Tip My Room Steward or Waitress Even Though I Already Prepaid?
Yes, of course. If any of the staff exceeded your expectations and you feel like they deserve some extra gratuities you can always pay on top of your prepaid tips. So just because you are prepaying does not mean you can’t show some extra kindness to some of the staff who made your cruise vacation experience a great one.